My job is the down and dirty of a non-profit. I get my hands wet, so to speak, in the actual mission of the organization. There are many aspects to make an organization run, and these aspects are all valuable and necessary. I would venture to say, however, that some positions are more vital than others. And considering the fact that I actually work with the students in this campus-based organization, I would venture to say that my position is pretty freaking important. I am making the main purpose of the organization possible. And yet, I am constantly treated with little regard, no respect, and no thanks for the amount and kind of work that I do.
At a dreaded board of directors meeting tonight, one of the members actually had the gumption to ask if I would "be a dear and go ahead and make 20 copies of this for the board, I just don't know how to use the copy machine." BULLSHIT. Yes, you do know how to make copies. This is not exactly a new technology. The point is, however, that this is not my job. It is not my job to run every errand, to return speaker systems or pick up packages. It is certainly not my job to make copies.
I think what bothers me so much is that I'm considered expendable. I'll be leaving in a few months, so who cares if I feel demeaned and belittled? Forget about praise or congratulations or even just a little pat on the back.
I feel like I've really gotten the short end of the stick, here. I think that not all campus organizations are as ridiculous as mine; somehow or other, I ended up here. I have to deal with it until I can leave, and if nothing else I've learned a great deal about management. Specifically, I've learned about how not to treat employees. Clearly, the way I've been treated is not the way you treat somebody you want to stick around.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
It is really ridiculous they treat you like that. You are the one doing all the work. Without you, it's just a bunch of fundraising heads that blah blah blah constantly about how other people need to do more work or spend money. Did you make the copies? How about the person who takes notes at the meeting - isn't she more like the ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANT who is supposed to be doing things like that because it is actually HER job? Or maybe they just think they can make you do it because you're younger. Ugh.
Post a Comment