It's time to move on.
I feel like I already have a foot out the door. I have worked and worked and worked-- my last post was about a meaningful experience, but let me tell you there have been many many negative experiences. I've learned a lot about what I'm looking for in a job, let's just say that...
I've applied to graduate school. Yay me! I applied to three schools (one is a joint program), to programs in Jewish communal service. I think one of the things that I've learned is that I'm really interested in management and policy: how these Jewish organizations work, how they treat their employees, and how they function in the community at large. I really do not want to be a gopher anymore; all I do is schlepp and shop and carry and cater. The structure of Hillel, and of many other Jewish organizations, is such that there is an incredibly high turn over rate. Young, idealistic college graduates, like me, are brought into these organizations, and then paid $22,000 a year to work 50 hours a week (plus) doing highly stressful and emotional work. They burn out after one or two years. I'm burned out now-- I would NEVER do this job for another year, not for all the MJEs in the world. Maybe it's time to reconsider the value of operating an organization in this manner.
I really hope I get into graduate school. I also really hope I get some money to go... Let's just say that $22,000 a year wasn't a hypothetical salary.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment